This week students learning that they will be participating in National Novel Writing Month. Throughout the month of November, I will take them step by step through the steps needed to create their very own novel!
- Entry launch with Mrs. Cooper
- Students get introduced to the project and get their Young Novelist Workbook, YNW
- Students will brainstorm ideas for their novel using the Writer’s Eye technique in their YNW.
- Students will Skype with Author, Alexandar London.
- Students will create a word count goal.
- Students will complete Writer’s Eye brainstorming activity.
- Students will silence the “Evil Inner Editor.”
- Students will learn how to create awesome characters by using and completing pages 11-15 in their YWN.
I am super excited to start an amazing writing project November 1st, but I need help putting together special writing workbooks for our kids. Do I have a parent that would be willing to come to the middle school on Thursday, October 26 to help spiral bind our writing workbooks? If you are interested, please e-mail me at [email protected]
- Cursive Consonant Combinations “sk, sp, sq”
- We will read the Scope Article, “They Failed. (And So Can You.)”
- Students will work through the writing process this week to construct a response to the question, “Why should we be willing to fail?” This will be referred to as RACE 2
- Cursive Consonant Combinations “ch, sh, wh”
- Students will start constructing a response to “They Failed” by completing their RACE 2 graphic organizer.
- Cursive Consonant Combinations “kn, mb, wr”
- Students will create a rough draft to their “They Failed” response paragraph. This will be called RACE 2 Rough Draft.
- Cursive Consonant Combinations “lt, ft, sl,”
- Students will work through writing stations to peer edit their rough draft.
- Students will polish and submit their final draft of RACE 2
Some students may master and work through this writing process faster. Those students will create their own “Famous Fails” slideshows about people in their own lives: parents, guardians, siblings, teachers, or friends.
Students who have not mastered the RACE paragraph writing skills will work as a small group through the standard based writing stations with me.